Substance Abuse Investigations
Businesses should be concerned about the bottom-line impact of active employee substance abuse in the workplace: absenteeism, decreased productivity, higher insurance costs, and liability-related expenses.
Small businesses, which employ over half of the nation's workforce, are now a magnet for drug users. And it is these companies that can least afford the legal and business exposures associated with workplace substance abuse:
- About half (47 percent) of workplace accidents are related to substance abuse
- Disciplinary actions are 90 percent higher among substance abusers
- Employee turn-over is significantly higher among substance abusers
- Consumption of health benefits is 300 percent higher among substance abusers
- Poor attendance is 66 percent higher among drug users
- Substance abusers are six times more likely to file a Workers' Compensation claim. (National Institute of Drug Abuse)
- Substance abuse and theft are often connected
- Two out of five employees have used an illegal drug while on the job. (National Chamber of Commerce)
At some point, the typical problems associated with substance abuse may compel you to have one or more of your employees investigated. Employers that fail to investigate such situations usually lose any employee claims or lawsuits that result.
Increasingly, employers are recognizing the value of an unbiased, independent third-party investigation firm to conduct the investigation and the interviews required. The best investigators specialize exclusively in undercover workplace investigations.
If the investigation firm and its professionals do their job right, the employer and counsel will have a solid basis for taking appropriate corrective action and defending themselves against claims of inaction and unfair treatment.
Diversified Risk Management, Inc. has investigated substance abuse for employers throughout North America in nearly 40 states. We are knowledgeable about state and federal employment law and understand privacy rights of employees and others. And we've obtained voluntary admissions of either involvement or responsibility in 98% of our interviews.
Call us today to learn more about ways we can help your organization succeed and improve your bottom-line.